Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mouse Costume Tutorial

Several weeks ago, my mother brought over a dress for my oldest daughter, Annabelle, that had been handed down from a cousin. It was this pretty white eyelet, puffed sleeve angelic dress. As my daughter dressed up in it, I instantly thought it looked like Clara's nightgown in the Nutcracker.  Like this...

So I got the idea to have my son dress as the Nutcracker and my baby dress as a mouse!  With my son being three and still somewhat easily persuaded, this might be my last year to convince the kids to coordinate their costumes.  I succeeded!  I like to make my costumes if possible, but between three kids, school, and everything else going on, I knew I needed to simplify them as much as possible.

For Annabelle, all she needed was ballet shoes to complete her costume.  Fortunately, not only does she dance ballet and have shoes available (her old ones so she doesn't get her good ones dirty), she is even dancing in the Nutcracker this year as a little mouse!  Done.

Then I had to come up with a Nutcracker costume for my son.  Post to follow...

Finally, I had to make a mouse costume for the baby.  I couldn't find any cute ones already made.  I thought I would just draft a pattern based off one of her sleepers, but that's complicated.  One day I was in Jo Ann Fabrics and saw they had Simplicity patterns on sale for $0.99!  I love those sales...  I headed over to look through the costume section to see if, by chance, they might have a mouse costume.  Of course not.  BUT, they did have a sheep costume that I figured I could easily adapt to be a mouse.  I spent my whopping $0.99 and found a lovely plush knit on sale in grey for the body and white for the tummy and ears.  I think total I spent about $10.  Here is the pattern I purchased:

So you see, it is as simple as adding a patch on the tummy, changing the ears and adding a tail.  I also (obviously) omitted the bell and bow.  For time's sake and so my baby could walk easier, I omitted the booties as well.  Here are the steps I took to transform this sheep into a mouse:


1. After stitching the center front seam of the jumpsuit, add the tummy piece.  (Do this before sewing the front to the back of the jumpsuit.)  Cut an oval on the fold of a contrasting fabric, fold the edge under approximately 1/4" and pin to the center of the jumpsuit front.  Top stitch along the edge of the contrasting fabric to applique the tummy section.  Be sure you are placing your oval only where the center seam is straight, not where it begins to curve for the crotch seam.  Continue to construct the jump suit as instructed in the pattern until complete.

 2. Cut two ears of your main body fabric and two of a contrasting fabric.  A pink satin would be cute, but I just used the white fuzzy fabric I used for the tummy.  I didn't have patterns for these, just drafted them.  You're welcome to blow up this picture and trace it if you want a pattern.  When I stacked the pieces together, I cut a notch on one side to be sure I had my front and back would match up correctly.
3. With right sides together, stitch with approximately 1/4" seam, leaving the bottom open (notice all the "approximates"....  when there is no pattern, you do as you please : ).  Cut notches along the curves so when you turn it, your ear will be nice and round.  Flip right side out.
 4. Insert a pipe cleaner along the edge to help the ear hold its shape.  Fold the ends of the pipe cleaner under so only a little sticks out the bottom of the ear.  This way you can guarantee it will be caught in the seam of the hat to help it stand up.
 5. Place the ear on the seam of the large dart in the side hood piece with the contrasting fabric facing front.  Pin between the dart edges and stitch.  I made a tuck in the center of the ear to give it a little dimension.  You don't have to do that.

6. Turn right side out to check that the ear was correctly inserted.  If some of it was not caught, stitch again.
 7. Cut two tail pieces with a slight curve to them (again, feel free to draw this yourself or blow up this image).
 8. Stitch with right sides together, 1/4" seam.  Trim the end of the seam down to the point, being careful not to cut the seam.  Also be sure to leave the base open.
 9. Turn the tail right side out and stuff the tail with poly-fil.  Turn under the bottom 1/4" of the tail and place about 1" below the opening in the center back of the jumpsuit.  Hand stitch around the base of the tail to attach it to the jumpsuit.
 The back of the finished jumpsuit.
 The front of the finished jumpsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment