Thursday, February 21, 2013

Why Naysayers Say Nay

What is the number one complaint I hear against an organic, whole foods diet?  "IT COSTS TOO MUCH!"

Really?  Does it really cost that much?  Or are we afraid of the cost we see on the sticker?

First of all, there really is a difference in organic foods because the yield is not as great when you don't have chemicals doing the dirty work for the farmers, so yes, the cost is higher.  But let's consider something.  I bet if you switch to a whole foods diet, you will find yourself dining out a lot less (if at all).  And THAT is what opens the door for organics in your budget...

Let me give you an example from my budget, how I am able to keep the EXACT same food budget and still buy nearly everything organic.  First, let me explain, we use a cash budget.  We get out $____ for food each month, and when that's gone, you live out of your pantry or freezer.  One thing that I had always included in my food budget was Chick-fil-a Wednesdays.  You see, we have a hectic Wednesday afternoon because I pick my daughter up from school, run home and change her for ballet, feed the kids a snack, and run to ballet.  Then we go straight from ballet to church, but do not get there early enough for the church dinner.  So what do we eat?  Chick-fil-a.  Well, that's what we USED to eat.  Now, while the kids are snacking, I throw together a brown bag dinner for them (sandwiches, crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever).  I also make sure to have leftovers, a crock pot meal, or something fast at home for my husband and myself to eat after church.  The kids just can't wait that long.  So, by brownbagging our Wednesday nights that used to cost us $25/each, I now save $100/month!  So where does that $100 go?  It covers MORE than the difference in my switch to organic alternatives.  Take a look...

Regular peanut butter (Costco): $2/lb
Organic peanut butter (Earth Fare): $5/lb
Difference: $3/lb ($6/month)

Regular milk (Costco): $3/gal
Local organic milk (Earth Fare): $6.50/gal
Difference: $3.50/gal ($28/month)

Regular apples (Costco): $1.29/lb
Organic apples (Costco): $1.45/lb
Difference: $0.16/lb ($0.80/month)

Regular frozen vegetables (Costco): $0.90/lb
Organic frozen vegetables (Costco): $1.10/lb
Difference: $0.20/lb ($1.60/month)

Regular cereal, snacks, etc.: about $50/month
Organic cereal, snacks, etc.: about $75/month
Difference: about $25/month

So my total increased budget is a little over $60.

Then when you consider your savings for making things yourself instead of buying them, even compared to non-organic, you counter a lot of those extra costs.  So subtract that (not even counting the savings from homemade items), and you're looking at still coming out in the black!

I challenge you to find one fast food meal a week to give up and start buying at least one thing organic that you didn't before.  It will do your body AND your budget good.

No comments:

Post a Comment